With Day 1 completed at the nerd-mecca that is Comic Con International we’re here to provide a brief recap of the day’s events, reveals, and some of our favorite cosplay outfits.
The overall feeling and buzz of the Con’s first day is nothing but pure excitement. So… the usual. The atmosphere was buzzing with anticipation and hopes of insider scoops to upcoming movies, events, shows, etc… Luckily, our humble little Nerdship was represented by our resident Con-expert, David. Speaking of David, we’ve still got plenty of prizes to give away for the #wheresdavidsdcc14 madness that continues throughout Comic Con.
Before we dive into the Day 1 recap, we want to share something really awesome with you!
Saturday, July 26th | 11:35am | San Diego Marriott Marquis and Marina
There’s something exciting happening during Comic Con this weekend. That would be the Official Comic Con International screening of Kyle Roberts’ film, The Posthuman Project.
When: Saturday, July 26 • 11:35am |San Diego Marriott Marquis and Marina
We here at Nerds and Nomsense are all for promoting amazing projects and Roberts’ film is just that… plus we’re pleased as punch that they’re bringing some nerd cred to the Con from Oklahoma. Did I mention that one of the co-writers, Matt Price, owns an awesome comic book shop in Norman (SPEEDING BULLET COMICS)… it’s super shiny. And that the other writer is none other than Times’ bestselling author and comic book veteran, Sterling Gates.
This movie is proof that you don’t need a high-budget, famous studio to make an awesome film! It was recently named “Best Oklahoma Film” during the latest deadCENTER Film Festival and is a fresh twist on a teen-to-superhero plot line. It’s a film written by comic book fans FOR comic book fans.
Here’s a little synopsis for you:
Denny Burke is finally about to graduate high school. Senior year has been one bad thing after another: a broken leg, a broken heart, and – worst of all – a broken home. With four of his closest friends, Denny goes on one last rock-climbing trip to prove he’s ready to start his adult life… On their trip the five teens receive a genetic boost beyond anything they’d ever imagined. Denny’s soon faced with the first big decision of his adult life: does he give up these powers and stay a normal teenager, or does he keep them… and graduate from the human race?
Seriously though, if you are at SDCC on Saturday – YOU NEED TO GO TO THIS SCREENING!
We will be doing a featured post on this film next Friday so stay tuned for that. It’s awesome, all the cast and crew are awesome… it’s pure awesome. Can’t you tell we like it?! Cause we do! So much awesome, Nerdship… seriously.
Enough about that, let’s get to the meat of Day 1 (though you really should go follow our Instagram feed for all the clues and live-stagramming of the event… *hint hint* dooooo eeeeeet.)
- A Shazam movie is in the works (via Warner Bros.) and is slated to come out sooner than everyone expected. Add to that the person who is to be the face of Earth’s Mightiest Mortal is none other than Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson – or he could be playing Black Adam… we will have to wait and see on that one.
- Season 3 of Hannibal *SPOILERS, SO IF YOU HAVEN’T FINISHED SEASON TWO DON’T READ THIS AND JUST MOVE TO THE NEXT POINT* Next season is supposed to be set about a year after last season’s finale. Eddie Izzard is going to make another appearance (Yes, I know he died but they’re going to do some flashbacks) as well as another character Dr. Chilton (who miraculously survived that gunshot to the face… ). There is also going to be a SLEW of ‘new’ characters, and by new I mean new to the show – but staple characters in the novels: Dollarhyde, Pazzi, etc… Fuller has announced that the “procedure of the week” format of the previous two seasons is going to be changed. They are pretty tight-lipped on if Will Graham will be returning so I guess we will all have to wait and see on that. All I know is that I cannot wait for the next season to air – which
- Battlestar Galactica … the Movie! Earlier this year there were rumors that the movie continuation of our beloved BSG was to be put on hold, or is it? In a panel today,it was announced that yes… it is happening under Universal Studios and writer Jack Paglen’s care. I just hope they don’t frak it up.
- Transformers is going back to being an animated tv show, again… hooray! Transformers: Robots In Disguise is slated to air in the early part of 2015.
- Goosebumps… the Movie? Yes, that’s right, your favorite spooky novels and cheesy 90s television show will be transformed into a movie which is due to release sometime in 2015. Oh, and Jack Black is going to be starring in it as R.L. Stine.
- “In Goosebumps, upset about moving from a big city to a small town, teenager Zach Cooper (Dylan Minnette) finds a silver lining when he meets the beautiful girl, Hannah (Odeya Rush), living right next door. But every silver lining has a cloud, and Zach’s comes when he learns that Hannah has a mysterious dad who is revealed to be R. L. Stine (Jack Black), the author of the bestselling Goosebumps series. It turns out that there is a reason why Stine is so strange… he is a prisoner of his own imagination – the monsters that his books made famous are real, and Stine protects his readers by keeping them locked up in their books. When Zach unintentionally unleashes the monsters from their manuscripts and they begin to terrorize the town, it’s suddenly up to Stine, Zach, and Hannah to get all of them back in the books where they belong.”
- Speaking of classic books being turned into movies – The Giver is coming to the silver screen on August 15, 2014! ! (I’m super excited about this one, since it’s one of my favorite books as a kid.) And guess who will be starring as The Giver… none other than the awesome and super groovy Jeff Bridges (who admitted to jamming with Taylor Swift during scenes while she was in South Africa filming). The panel Want to watch the trailer? Here it is:
- 2 more Avengers 2: Age of Ultron Posters … /squeeeeeeeeeee Like what Marvel did with the last Avengers, these posters/movie art look like they will be able to be joined together into one gigantic panorama once all are released. Here are a few of the ones that were displayed during Day 1. I’m sure there will be more news on the Marvel front for their big panel on Saturday.
- A upclose and personal look at Ben Affleck’s Batman… specifically his cowl and mask.
- Ant-Man’s poster is here… in all it’s 1980’s sci-fi style. It looks cool, but I’m still a bit sad about the whole Edgar Wright breakup.
Con-goers: What was your favorite thing/announcement/cosplay/etc that you saw on Day 1? Let us know. We love hearing from you guys (feel free to share image URLs as well.)
Well, these are some of our favorite announcements and first looks from Day 1. Obviously, we can’t touch on everything that happened but hopefully we’ll be able to provide a larger recap once the Con has concluded. In the meantime, we’d like to leave you with some of David’s favorite cosplay outfits from Day 1:
Hades from Hercules and Yzma from The Emperor’s New Groove
Captain America Corgi… of awesomeness.
And Deadpool… we can’t forget our beloved Deadpool… complete with Thor’s Mjölnir, Captain’s shield, Hulk’s fist and Iron Man’s chest arc reactor.
We’d love to find out who these people are, so please – let us know in the comments below!
If you’d like to live vicariously through us at Comic Con, follow our instagram as David will be live-stagramming during the rest of the Con. We will be sure to do a Day 2 recap for you tomorrow!