I went to N&N HQ the other day to chill with the big boss. We shot the breeze, went to the grocery store, then got down to business. Everything was going so well…
Cast of characters: Oil, flour, butter, salt, sugar, lemon extract, egg, baking powder, lemon, vanilla, and baking soda.
We put the dry ingredients together in one bowl, and the wet in the mixer bowl. That’s where the crap hit the fan… In went a whole stick of butter by mistake. Don’t chat and bake, folks!
We decided to go down the rabbit hole with our mistake, and surged bravely forward.
The butter wouldn’t incorporate, so out came the immersion blender.
All better…Now into the pan to bake.
What have I done?!?
Well, at least it tasted good.
Take two, this time with the right amount of butter.
Looks just like a cake now!
Verdict: like a less sweet version of the popular coffeehouse lemon loaf cake.
Lemon loaf cake
- 1½ cup FLOUR
- ½ teaspoon BAKING SODA
- ½ teaspoon BAKING POWDER
- ½ teaspoon SALT
- 3 EGGS
- 1 cup SUGAR
- 2 tablespoons BUTTER; Softened
- 1 teaspoon VANILLA (vanilla bean paste would be a prettier alternative)
- 1 teaspoon LEMON EXTRACT
- ⅓ cup LEMON JUICE
- ZEST of 1 lemon
- ½ cup OIL
- Preheat your oven and prepare a standard loaf pan.
- Mix together sugar and butter until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla, lemon extract, lemon juice and zest, mix until creamy.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, combine thoroughly.
- Add oil, mix until combined, then pour into greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
1 cup POWDERED SUGAR
2 tablespoons LEMON JUICE (I used 1 Tbsp lemon and 1 Tbsp lime)
1/2 teaspoon LEMON EXTRACT
little bit of LEMON ZEST
Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl, set aside.
For glaze, combine all ingredients and mix until smooth. Pour over cooled cake.