Okay, okay. I’ve come to my senses (mostly). It’s too hot outside! I have been trying so hard to drink more water, and thanks to a filtered pitcher dispenser in my fridge, I’m getting better. The tap water here is very different(especially in taste) from the tap water where we used to live. The glassware and plates come out of the dishwasher with a hard layer of scum, so I’ve been putting vinegar in the rinse aid slot… Not helping as much, so I picked up some PW-approved stuff called Lemi Shine. Apparently, it’s magic and restores balance to your life. I’ll report back soon.
Today’s dinner for 2 is going to combine 2 things I lurve: exciting salads and broiled fish.
Stars of the show: Swai and Tilapia, lower left. Clockwise, from fish: bleu cheese crumbles, locally grown plum tomatoes, cheese straws, dill, garlic powder, spinach, dried cranberries, chopped walnuts, granny smith apple, and salt and pepper (hearts this time).
Set your oven to broil. Put a little olive oil in the bottom of a broiler-safe baking dish, then flop the fish in there. Flip them all around so there’s a little oil on all sides, then sprinkle with dill, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Put it under the broiler for about 4 minutes per side. If it doesn’t flake easily with a fork, give it a couple more minutes. I used a filet each of swai and tilapia, since that’s what was in my freezer. I’ve made this with salmon too.
Pre-broil. Check out my Frankoma in the shape of Oklahoma. 😀
While the fish is under the broiler, go ahead and dice your apple and quarter your tomatoes. When the fish is done, pull it out and have a look.
To assemble the salad, you can either toss everything together in a bowl or you can make it in layers on the plate. I’ve done it both ways, but for the sake of a nice picture, I did mine on a plate.
YUM YUM YUM. This is just my salad, my sweetums hadn’t plated his yet. So, this is about half the ingredients.
- - big bunch of spinach, all trimmed and rinsed (I buy the pre-done stuff)
- -6-8 small(cherry-plum size) tomatoes, quartered
- -1/4 cup dried cranberries
- -2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- -1 granny smith apple, cored and diced
- - bleu cheese crumbles
- - some sexy cheese straw cracker thingies
- -a sexy vinaigrette
- - 2 medium fish filets(whichever fish you like. any white fish or salmon will rock.)
- -olive oil
- -salt & pepper
- -garlic powder
- -dried dill
- Set oven to broil.
- Place about 1 ½ -2 tablespoons oil in a broilerproof baking dish.
- Place fish in the dish, being sure to flip the fish to coat them in oil.
- Sprinkle with dill, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Broil for approximately 4 minutes per side; depending on your oven this may be too long. Keep an eye out.
- Once fish is done, let it sit for a moment and assemble the 2 salads with the remaining ingredients.
- Plop the fish on top or on the side and voila!
BONUS salad dressing recipe!!!
(adapted from TK user Sally Darling)
-juice of 1 lemon
-1 clove minced/pressed garlic
-1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
-1/4 cup light olive oil
-salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a shaker/mason jar. Shake like crazy, apply to salad. 😀