Brave Nerdship, let us venture to the tiny metropolis of Pawnee, Indiana for our next nerd-inspired cocktail. Yes. That’s right. We are being inspired by Parks and Recreation, but more specifically by the one and only, America’s Sweetheart – Leslie Knope, the waffle lover herself. [Before you all get in a tizzy, yes we WILL be doing a Ron Swanson inspired cocktail down the line… and it will be a thing and YES it will be epic.]
This inspiration comes from a suggestion by one of our new contributing authors, Jordan, who graciously tweeted her suggestion to us.
@nerdsnnomsense Leslie Knoppe/ any and all Parks and Rec, slash I want in on this.
— Jordan Pelavin (@jordanpelavin) January 26, 2014
To be completely honest, I have maybe watched 6 or 7 full episodes of the illustrious Parks and Rec. I’m not a tried and true fan but it’s very funny and in the same vein as The Office, but with more political shenanigans. When Jordan sent us her suggestion I dove head-long into ParksAndRec Wiki as well as IMDB and Tumblr to try to grasp a better handle on what we should do for her inspired cocktail. The resounding voice was that she was a waffle lover… so I ran with it.
Leslie is not only an “amant de gaufres,” she is a total, misunderstood sweetheart with a heart of gold. So for her inspired-cocktail we’re going for something that is golden, sweet, and tastes like waffles. AND LET ME TELL YOU, IT IS DELICIOUS!
A Knope-inpired Cocktail
Makes: 1 3-oz cocktail
1oz of Whipped Cream Vodka
1oz of Crown Royal Maple (Ron Swanson is in a tizzy about this, I’m sure… I just don’t care)
.5 oz of Kraken Black Spiced Rum
.5 oz of Cinnamon Schnapps
Maple syrup (rim, optional but encouraged)
Brown sugar (rim, optional)
- Fill your shaker halfway full of ice and pour in your alcohol.
- Shake it like you SHOULDN’T shake a baby.
- Let that sit in the shaker for a minute while you multitask other things.
- Grab 2 small plates, your rocks glass (or wine glass in my case because I am a classy individual), maple syrup, and brown sugar.
- Pour some of the maple syrup on one plate and put an even layer of brown sugar on the other.
- Take your glass and dip the rim of it into the maple sugar then transfer it to the plate with the brown sugar. It will look really pretty!
- Toss a few ice cubes into your glass-o-choice, and then strain your drink into the glass.
- Hold a press conference and enjoy!
As always – please drink responsibly. We don’t want any of you falling into the Sullivan Street Pit and pulling an Andy.
If you make this drink, please let us know what you think of it. We love hearing from you guys so don’t be shy. Feel free to leave us a comment below or on our Facebook page … or if you’re feeling really snazzy tweet us!