The day has arrived, guys… GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY hits the theaters (officially) this evening and I couldn’t be more thrilled. What could be better than celebrating the new Marvel flick than with a shiny, new cocktail that’s out of this galaxy?!
I’m riding from the Comic-Con high and still trying to catch up with all the nerdy news that came out of all of the panels. Are you caught up yet? What was the best piece of nerd-news that you heard? (Let us know in the comments!) Speaking of Comic Con, did you get a chance to see David’s photos from the weekend? No? Check out our Facebook page!
Tonight is the preview / early viewing of the highly acclaimed Guardians of the Galaxy. Guess who gets to go?! (/points to self) I lucked into tickets for an advanced screening this evening and I’m thrilled. Okay, maybe thrilled is putting it lightly… I’m bouncing off of the walls with excitement. Ever watch Flubber? Remember the part where Robin Williams releases the goo from its container for the first time and it ricochets off of every wall a thousand miles a minute? Yeah, that’s me. So. Frakking. Excited!
In my mind Guardians of the Galaxy is like Star Wars, Leverage, and Firefly got together and made a metaphoric baby that is bound and determined to save the universe, failing completely along the way, but somehow survives and remains triumphant. Or something like that…
For this cocktail I wanted to make something a little crazy so I combined a few unconventional ingredients (like the 5 unlikely heroes of the film) and hoped for the best. It turned out surprisingly tasty… (In coming up with N&N drinks in the past I’ve made a few that were horrible, but luckily those have never and will never see the light of day on this lovely blog.)
Want to know one of our unlikely ingredients? SRIRACHA. There I said it. Now don’t you go pointing your nose up in the air, it’s not like I just gave you the black spot or anything. Sriracha is a finicky ingredient that completely depends on the quantity that’s added. It’s sweet with a kick in the backend and can give new life to any old dish … or beverage.
In the end this cocktail is a whirlwind of awesomeness. It’s sweet, zingy, filled with delicious juice, AND has a little kick at the backend that will leave you wanting another glass. Or two.
The drink that gives you +5 to your wit and snappy comebacks... or something like that.
Makes 1 16oz ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE. Please drink responsibly and don’t go trying to break into or out of any space prisons while under the influence of this beverage.
- 1oz Silver Tequila
- 1oz Kraken Black Spiced Rum
- 1oz Bacardi 151 Rum
- 1 oz of limeade vodka
- 3oz Blood Orange Juice, 1-2 slice for garnish (can be made with a regular orange… I just really like blood oranges. You can also substitute blood orange juice concentrate, if you can find it.)
- 1 lime, juiced and save a slice of zest for later.
- 1/8 tsp of sriracha
- Smoked Sea Salt, pinch – completely optional!
- 1 tsp of sugar
- Red Bull – 4oz glass.
- ICE (… ice, baby)
- Juice all of your fruit, but be sure to leave a slice or two for garnish.
- Grab a shaker, add ice (till about 1/2 full) and then add your bit of sriracha. Remember: A little bit goes a long way… and there’s no need to napalm the jungle, metaphorically speaking.
- Pour in juice, sugar, and liquor to the shaker… and then shake it like you’re on Serenity and the primary buffer panel just flew off.
- Strain into your glass (which has a few pieces of ice in there to keep everything nice and cool).
- Top off with your Red Bull and a pinch of the smoked sea salt.
- Garnish with a squeeze of zest and a slice of your blood orange.
- Drink and go save the universe.
(Did I mention it’s MARVEL red?)
And as always, please drink responsibly. We don’t want any of you, lovely Nerdship, to have too many of these and then decide to take on Thanos. He’d probably win since last I checked we didn’t have the technology to defeat him… plus he has a spaceship.
What other themed drinks would you like to see us create from Guardians of the Galaxy? Let us know in the comments below and we’ll get right on that! We love hearing from you guys, so don’t be shy.