Do you ever get those hankerings in the afternoon that only the sweet frigid nectar of an iced coffee or frappe can cure? This happens to me a lot, and with the advent and convenience of OverPricedCorporateCoffeeHouses that are right up the road in either direction, it gets to be expensive and we’re not made of money like this guy. So that’s where we are – 1) I really want a frappe or iced coffee beverage and 2) I’m broke.
What to do. What to do.
And then a light bulb goes off in my brain, like it tends to do occasionally. MAKE YOUR OWN. It’s not like we don’t have lots of coffee in the pantry, cream, and additional flavorings. Oh and don’t forget the plethora of ice in our handy dandy refrigerator. We are living in the future… except where the crack are our flying cars?
All-in-all making your own frappe is fairly easy. Just make sure you have a blender/Ninja/food processor of some type so that you can pulverize and blend your ice and ingredients together. It’s pretty darn sweet if you ask me, and the great thing about frappes is you can basically put anything you want in them.
Now, for the purposes of this drink recipe I needed a lot of caffeine so I cheated and used a powdered instant iced coffee packet as well as coffee and a few other things. It wasn’t the healthiest in terms of sugar content, but oh goodness it was good! And in the end, it kept me awake and it sated my coffee cravings. OH! And it looked really pretty. That matters too, right?
So without further nonsensical babbling from my end – Here’s my recipe for Caramel Mocha Frappes.
- 1.5 cup of QUALITY coffee, already made and cooled
- 1 package of Starbucks VIA caramel iced coffee.
- 2 tablespoons of hot chocolate mix
- 2.5 cups of ice
- 3 tablespoons of chocolate syrup (extra for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons of caramel syrup (extra for garnish)
- Some whipped cream for garnish
- In a blender, puree everything except for the whipped cream. You can blend it to the consistency of your choice - personally I like my frappes with a little bit of crunch to them.
- Drizzle some syrup into the glass, it looks pretty.
- Pour your beverage into 2 glasses
- Top with whipped cream and syrup